[WTB] "Small" buckling spring keyboard

headphone_jack

15 Nov 2021, 01:42

This includes anything smaller than an SSK, including M50, F50, various buckling spring numpads, etc etc. Preferably shipped within the CONUS, not looking to spend an arm and a half.

digital_matthew

15 Nov 2021, 04:49

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194497253009?_ ... %7Ciid%3A1

Though it will probably cost an arm and a half.

headphone_jack

15 Nov 2021, 16:01

Yeah, I saw that. Was hoping to pay that much all in, but as a starting bid no way.

Weezer

15 Nov 2021, 23:43

Why even bother wasting everyone's time if your top price is 1/3 market value?

headphone_jack

17 Nov 2021, 03:23

Weezer wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 23:43
Why even bother wasting everyone's time if your top price is 1/3 market value?
Some people don't care about the hyperinflated """market value""" of boards.

Weezer

17 Nov 2021, 08:26

Sounds like some people won't be making any purchases

fohat
Elder Messenger

17 Nov 2021, 14:51

headphone_jack wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 03:23

the hyperinflated """market value"""
In a free market, the amount that someone was willing to pay is, by definition, the "going rate"

headphone_jack

17 Nov 2021, 16:27

My apologies for wanting a deal, I swear I'll pay $600 for a model m next time :)

Weezer

17 Nov 2021, 17:04

Well that would be stupid. The market value of a model m isn't $600. It's usually about $100 and would actually fit in line quite nicely with your budget.

zrrion

17 Nov 2021, 20:00

A bog standard M is worth max about 50. Market """value""" is tied to speculation on price movement and unrelated to their actual real world worth. Anyone who spends 100 on an M when you can get them from unicomp for less than that is stupid.

raoulduke-esq

17 Nov 2021, 20:10

Then there's the idea of "value" being determined by a specific buyer/seller at a specific time. So like if someone tomorrow decides they're willing to pay $2k for a blue badge M and a seller is willing to take it, that doesn't mean every other blue badge M is worth $2k - there would be another buyer willing to pay that. Similar if a seller is willing to sell a blue badge M for tree fiddy that doesn't mean all blue badge Ms are worth tree fiddy - another seller would have to be willing to take that.

Weezer

17 Nov 2021, 23:59

zrrion wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 20:00
A bog standard M is worth max about 50. Market """value""" is tied to speculation on price movement and unrelated to their actual real world worth. Anyone who spends 100 on an M when you can get them from unicomp for less than that is stupid.
what.png
what.png (446.37 KiB) Viewed 5653 times
What is "real world worth" and how does it differentiate from the real market value, which is just the price that something currently tends to go for and not necessarily tied to any speculation on price movement?

Weezer

18 Nov 2021, 00:08

raoulduke-esq wrote:
Then there's the idea of "value" being determined by a specific buyer/seller at a specific time. So like if someone tomorrow decides they're willing to pay $2k for a blue badge M and a seller is willing to take it, that doesn't mean every other blue badge M is worth $2k - there would be another buyer willing to pay that. Similar if a seller is willing to sell a blue badge M for tree fiddy that doesn't mean all blue badge Ms are worth tree fiddy - another seller would have to be willing to take that.
The general price that the buyer would be willing to pay is the market value. Or are you arguing that trends don't exist, only the individual data points of each individual sale?

zrrion

18 Nov 2021, 01:05

You're familiar with coin collecting correct? Coins are only worth face value but due to speculation on their market """value""" people will pay a lot more than face value for them. This market value can be manipulated (and in the case of coins this sort of thing has caused bubbles that then burst and anyone who was treating it as an investment instead of as a hobby was fucked) if you can't separate the market value from their actual worth then that's on you. I buy stuff for what it would be worth if I knew there was no possibility of reselling it and recommend others do the same whenever they can. (same with coins and any other collectable things honestly, don't buy them if the price you paid isn't disconnected from your enjoyment of them)

As for the sub 100 for a unicomp thing, I thought they were 90. I stand by the concept I'm trying to communicate even if you did win pedentry points for remembering the price better than me. A new unicomp works as-is and is under warranty but an old IBM is going to need bolt modded and a converter of some sort to work. That's additional cost and labor so IMO the price needs to be a lot better to justify it from a practical standpoint. I think IBM stuff looks better but not enough better to justify spending real money on it when your money goes farther with unicomp.

raoulduke-esq

18 Nov 2021, 05:01

Weezer wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 00:08
raoulduke-esq wrote:
The general price that the buyer would be willing to pay is the market value. Or are you arguing that trends don't exist, only the individual data points of each individual sale?
Pretty much m8. Trends are great for economists, academics, etc. but idgaf if the last F122 sold for $800 because it had a fake NASA sticker on it- I am not paying that. In keyboards, each transaction is a data point determined by the buyers and sellers involved. There are indeed trends as in “most simps will pay 4-figures for a 5251” but a lot won’t. Trends are more relevant in the stock market, but even there stuff is so divorced from actual company value and firmly in the camp of whim that it is silly.

For keyboards, “market value” for the last several recorded trades can be useful for determining if you are getting a “bargain” or getting soaked, but at the end of the day these are very much dependent on the daily whims and pocket books of the collectors and daily hunger of the flippers selling to them.

soyuz

18 Nov 2021, 05:04

too many prices and vaules
Attachments
vivaldi_E2LIDjlHWu.png
vivaldi_E2LIDjlHWu.png (785.32 KiB) Viewed 5561 times

headphone_jack

18 Nov 2021, 13:47

Guys I just want a fucking keyboard, go debate economics somewhere else. You don't like what I'm willing to pay, then why do you have to say anything at all?

Wazrach

18 Nov 2021, 14:06

headphone_jack wrote:
Guys I just want a fucking keyboard, go debate economics somewhere else. You don't like what I'm willing to pay, then why do you have to say anything at all?
If there's one thing I realised on the internet, it's that people are quick to try and make you feel bad.

inozenz

18 Nov 2021, 14:34

headphone_jack wrote:
create a new post, rly.... and let them talk here as much as they like

fohat
Elder Messenger

18 Nov 2021, 14:40

headphone_jack wrote:

Guys I just want a fucking keyboard
Buy a new Unicomp. You will have choices of style and color, along with native USB and a warranty.

headphone_jack

18 Nov 2021, 15:08

I'm looking for a companion to my FSSK, whatever I end up getting is going to be converted to a model F. I think a Unicomp SSK next to an original IBM one would be kind of silly!

soyuz

18 Nov 2021, 15:22

it's a testament to the quality of the membership and moderation on this forum that we can't have marketplace posts that don't degenerate into petty bullshit

mrprofessor

18 Nov 2021, 15:24

Convince IVAN to chop you one :D

Weezer

18 Nov 2021, 15:47

Oh boy I'm the bad guy I see.

zrrion

18 Nov 2021, 20:38

yeah, if you're goal is to get a companion to an SSK then you could get someone to chop one cheaper than you could get a legit one. The issue there is going to be that the standard M case is larger than the SSK, and it won't match. If unicomp sells replacements for the new M case then you could possibly chop one of those and paint it to match your indy SSK. That's honestly your best bet IMO.

Return to “Want to buy”