NTC KB-6551CH (Yeh Chun)

rocco_16v

06 May 2024, 05:05

Got this board of eBay recently and was expecting Alps but Instead I got Cherries. The layout is identical to the Unitek (NTC) K-258 not the Dah Yang version layout.

The back sticker is also not from this model as the FCC ID would indicate its for a KB-6251. However I have seen this before in other boards so its not surprising to me they did this.

Bottom of board has the 8088/80286 (XT/AT) switch (switch is on the PCB).

Switches are Cherry Blue and uses the same style stabilizers (costar) as it does for the Alps version. The mounting plate is also made of plastic as in the later Alps versions.

Thought the switches installed are 3 pin Cherries the PCB does allow for 5 pin switches to be used. Several solder joints were cracked so they needed to be redone. Additionally it seems the board had gone trough some sort of spillage as its evident (residue) in some areas on the PCB.

The PCB branding markings are on the component side of the PCB (bottom left corner under the Left Control Key) identifying the board as a KB-6551CH made by Yeh Chun.

Finally the keycaps are thin ABS with dye sublimed legends. I do like the legends as they're nice and sharp.

The cable is the same half coiled lenght with a PS/2 connector. Currently using a Monoprice PS/2 to USB adapter and seems to work properly. I dont have an XT converter or machine to test the XT functionality.

fohat
Elder Messenger

06 May 2024, 15:33

rocco_16v wrote:
06 May 2024, 05:05

Finally the keycaps are thin ABS
Those do not look thin to me.

Return to “Keyboards”