Who still looks forward to the Keystone?

JCMax

26 Dec 2022, 20:45

I am still VERY enthusiastic about this board. Even though there have been a lot of setbacks, especially with the...Silo Beamsprings. :(

It sounds like they maybe getting "close" to finally building and shipping them from the last update they did. I put close in quotes because I mean that relatively speaking.

I have high hopes that one day they will be able to build the Silos and they will be compatible with this keyboard later.

Is anybody else still eagerly awaiting this keyboard? People have been so negative on the comments page for it, I am curious if this board still has a devoted following?

BigBlambino

26 Dec 2022, 21:20

Personally, I find it hard to get excited about an unproven and late Kickstarter keyboard project when wooting is already selling linear hall effect keyboards that basically deliver on all the same promises. The silo beam spring switches where the only thing that really made me interested in it.

JCMax

27 Dec 2022, 01:50

One thing the Keystone has over Wooting, for me, is the tactile option. And it's through an Alps-like leaf at that! Otherwise, I would be all over the Wooting board.

The loss of the Silos was devastating. It definitely cut the enthusiasm down by half. One half was the board and a whole other half were the Silos themselves.

In fact, one reason there is hope for me is if the Keystone is manufactured, then maybe there could be demand for the Silos in another crowd fund later on. I know I maybe wishing in one hand...but I still have my fingers crossed. I am still keeping hope alive. :lol:

Chyros

27 Dec 2022, 18:53

I'll happily cover it, I think it has promise despite the lack of actual beamsprings. Jacob knows his shit, perhaps moreso than any other currently active keyboard developer on the planet.

HV_Medic

27 Dec 2022, 23:07

I was keenly following this project until I recently discovered that the Silo beamspring switch piece of the project has been ended. My plan was to buy the Keystone keyboard with the beamsprings and if I liked the way it felt to buy a bunch of the switches and design my own completely custom keyboard including making my case out of metal with a milling machine. Now that the beamspring portion of the project is dead and buried, I literally have no interest in the project whatsoever. I feel like I wasted a few years watching the project.

BigBlambino

29 Dec 2022, 13:18

JCMax wrote:
27 Dec 2022, 01:50
One thing the Keystone has over Wooting, for me, is the tactile option. And it's through an Alps-like leaf at that! Otherwise, I would be all over the Wooting board.

The loss of the Silos was devastating. It definitely cut the enthusiasm down by half. One half was the board and a whole other half were the Silos themselves.

In fact, one reason there is hope for me is if the Keystone is manufactured, then maybe there could be demand for the Silos in another crowd fund later on. I know I maybe wishing in one hand...but I still have my fingers crossed. I am still keeping hope alive. :lol:
I'll play devil's advocate: I wouldn't be suprised if the alps tactile switch gets cancelled too 😈.

Seriously, do you have a link with more information about the tactile switch because that's pretty interesting. I can't seem to find anything about it on the Kickstarter page though.

JCMax

30 Dec 2022, 00:05

You got to dig for it. It's hidden in certain posts like here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/l ... ts/3485667

"
Initial silo switch samples

We had a few rounds of Silo Switch samples 4-5 months later. Some of these included some unique methods of doing tactile switches (sadly it was another uphill bad to convince the engineer to take a chance so we opted for a more proven approach using Alps-like tactile leaves for the Silo Tactile switches). The attempt was to create something sort of like a beam spring switch but not clicky.

"

There have been other posts on places like YouTube also saying this. As far as I know they haven't said they were going to change the mechanism. Unless there's some hidden cryptic text somewhere saying otherwise that I haven't read... :shock:

Return to “Keyboards”