Marquardt Butterfly Case IC/GB

fricked

21 Aug 2022, 05:36

This is an interest check/group buy post for the case I am making for Marquardt Butterfly keyboard modules (from certain Olympia typewriters).

First prototype:
Spoiler:
Case will be made from nylon and texture painted; let me know what colors you would like to see!

Kit would include texture painted top case, unpainted bottom, unpainted feet, screws, 2x silicone strip (for assembly), adhesive rubber feet

These modules came with more than one layout, which may affect the top case cutout. If yours is incompatible with the one in my photos please send a photo and I'll try to support it

Price TBD; between $100 and $200 plus shipping

Please fill out this interest check if you are interested

Stay tuned for typing test and more photos

Lalaland124

21 Aug 2022, 11:09

fricked wrote:
21 Aug 2022, 05:36
This is an interest check/group buy post for the case I am making for Marquardt Butterfly keyboard modules (from certain Olympia typewriters).

First prototype:
Spoiler:
Case will be made from nylon and texture painted; let me know what colors you would like to see!

Kit would include texture painted top case, unpainted bottom, unpainted feet, screws, 2x silicone strip (for assembly), adhesive rubber feet

These modules came with more than one layout, which may affect the top case cutout. If yours is incompatible with the one in my photos please send a photo and I'll try to support it

Price TBD; between $100 and $200 plus shipping

Please fill out this interest check if you are interested

Stay tuned for typing test and more photos

:o :o awesome work!! That case looks gorgeous imo.

Muirium
µ

21 Aug 2022, 11:38

Indeed. Hopefully these switches deserve their posh new home. I like the caps, but they’ve got that Stackpole vibe which makes me very wary!

Lalaland124

21 Aug 2022, 11:42

Muirium wrote:
I like the caps, but they’ve got that Stackpole vibe which makes me very wary!
Was about to say the same.. those switches give me the creeps

fricked

25 Aug 2022, 00:15

typing

fricked

25 Aug 2022, 00:19

Muirium wrote:
Indeed. Hopefully these switches deserve their posh new home. I like the caps, but they’ve got that Stackpole vibe which makes me very wary!
Mine I cleaned and "lubed" with RO-59 and I think they are excellent! Smooth, no binding and of course a very fun click :oops:

TNT

18 Oct 2022, 01:14

Count me in (:

Did you assign any function to those two sliders on the right?

TNT

19 Dec 2022, 20:58

fricked wrote:
Muirium wrote:
Mine I cleaned and "lubed" with RO-59 and I think they are excellent! Smooth, no binding and of course a very fun click :oops:
Btw. I can totally agree. Even uncleaned they are quite nice, but put a little elbow grease in there and they enter an entirely different league. What makes the whole deal even sweeter is that you can get them for quite a cheap price ... If you're willing to pay shipping costs for a bigass old typewriter that is :lol:

mmm

27 Dec 2022, 20:11

Excellent looking project, hope it gets enough traction to go forward!
Muirium wrote:
The "staircase" profile tends to do that. Oddly enough, this is also what (partly) contributes to the switches being as good as they are. I tried printing some resin keycaps in DES profile (open source keycap profile) with a modified mount to fit on Marquardt Switches, with an angled stem in order to make them mount flush with the keycap.

While the new keycaps looks nice and improves the sound due to the extra mass, it adds the possibility of off-center keypresses, which adds some severe friction (possibly called binding, but in this context it's dynamic rather than static friction which is commonly experienced on Alps/SI switches). It's quite similar to what one might experience from the bottom row of SI keycaps.
TNT wrote:
19 Dec 2022, 20:58
fricked wrote:
Muirium wrote:
Btw. I can totally agree. Even uncleaned they are quite nice, but put a little elbow grease in there and they enter an entirely different league. What makes the whole deal even sweeter is that you can get them for quite a cheap price ... If you're willing to pay shipping costs for a bigass old typewriter that is :lol:
I didn't try to give them additional love though, as they are quite nice with the stock keycaps. The original typewriter was in quite bad condition. Additional love might be able to solve this problem, but for now, the project is shelved (along with several other projects).

Return to “Keyboards”