Would using a PCIe PS/2 Controller solve issues of a PS/2 to USB converter

RandomUser1111

24 Jan 2021, 18:48

Hi there,

For the keyboard I am going to get has a PS/2 Cable. However, it is recommended that I use some custom PS/2 to USB converter. However, would I get the full functionality out of a PS/2 PCIe Controller Card as if It would be if my motherboard already had it?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question.
Last edited by RandomUser1111 on 25 Jan 2021, 00:46, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx_Carpathica

24 Jan 2021, 19:04

hi there
what kind of keyboard it is exactly? you would help out a lot by telling it.

RandomUser1111

24 Jan 2021, 19:40

G80-9009. There is little documentation about it and the recommended PS/2 To USB converter is Soarer's one however it is £50. And I would much rather save that money when all I need is a PCIe PS/2 Controller Card.

I already have an original breakout box for it. So all I really need is to make the cables. However, I am trying to work out how I can connect it to my PC as sadly my motherboard does not have a PS2 connection.

However, as I am using the breakout box some custom documentation says "You will have to use a Soarer converter if you want to get to USB and have a programmable keyboard". I am trying to figure out what programmable means. As I know you can program keys using Soarers converter however I can also do programmable macros on the keyboard itself so i dont know what this means.
Last edited by RandomUser1111 on 27 Jan 2021, 20:00, edited 2 times in total.

Willy4876

25 Jan 2021, 00:18

I haven't ever seen a PCIe PS/2 card, but there are several PCI cards on Newegg. If you decide to order one make sure that you get the right card for whatever computer you're using it on (PCI and PCIe are not compatible).

RandomUser1111

25 Jan 2021, 00:45

Sorry, I should have put PCIe. I will edit the post. I have seen a few PCIe to PS/2 cards on AliExpress. However, they mention that it is "Hot-Swappable" which sort of indicates to me that it may not be a true PS/2 adapter and offer full functionality. Can i even replicate full PS/2 support on a motherboard that doesn't natively come with PS/2 ports?

Sheepless

25 Jan 2021, 22:55

I have a PCIe PS2 card, which provides two PS2 ports. There's not much to say about it: it works fine from Linux, without me having to do anything special. Can't remember what Windows thought about it, since I rarely use Windows. Haven't tried hot-plugging keyboards, because why risk it? I no longer use it, since switching to Soarer's.

Being impatient, I bought it on Amazon. Frustratingly, I can't give you a link: the link from my order now goes to an entirely different card, which isn't even anything to do with PS2. I wish merchants didn't do that. Anyway, it's described as "MZHOU PCIe PS2 card 2 port", and is probably identical to various differently-named cards on AliExpress.

hellothere

26 Jan 2021, 23:00

> However, as I am using the breakout box some custom documentation says "You will have to use a Soarer converter if you want to get to USB and have a programmable keyboard". I am trying to figure out what programmable means. As I know you can program keys using Soarers converter however I can also do programmable macros on the keyboard itself so i dont know what this means.

"Programmable" for the Soarer's means that you can program macros and assign any key (pretty sure) to anything you want. You want to change the Delete key to an extra Return key? No problem.

Personally, I'm slightly intimidated by the Soarer's programming stuff. I generally get by with SharpKeys and/or AutoHotkey.

I'm relatively unfamiliar with any programmable keyboard. I don't know if adding a Soarer's would mean that you HAVE to use its programming stuff and whatever you have onboard the keyboard would stop working.

FWIW, it's dirt cheap and easy to make a Soarer's converter, if you have a soldering iron and some wire.

HC514

27 Jan 2021, 12:16

A PS/2 PCI (or PCIe, if they exist) card will just be a USB card with the addition of a PS/2 to USB chip built in, the same as could be found in an external adapter. It won't be the same as a "real" PS/2 port on the motherboard.

However, that's not guaranteed to be a problem. If all the board needs is a straightforward PS/2 connection, it might do the job (as would an external adapter). Of course, adapters do tend to be a bit janky and their compatibility isn't as good as the real thing (and unusual boards like that are just the kind of thing that tends to demonstrate this). However, it should be worth trying the board with a basic adapter (just stick with an external one) and seeing if it works. There's a decent chance it will.

(It's worth mentioning that this post was written while wrestling with a wonky PS/2 adapter)

RandomUser1111

27 Jan 2021, 20:51

Ok, as this is a 122+ Keyboard (149key technically), would a normal active ps2 to USB adapter not be able to send all of the signals for all of the keys. Is there no way to then get the keyboard working with USB (as in full keys will be able to work or at least 122). As it is designed for PS2.
Also for another dumb question, it uses a DB9 to PS2 connector to connect it to the PC. Would a DB9 to USB cable work?
Alternatively, I can connect it via DB9 to RS232. As I am guessing you can get PCIe Serial cards. .Could I try some RS232 Serial port to a PCIe Card, would this allow full key functionality of the keyboard.

Return to “Keyboards”